DataGuard with Physical & Snapshot Standby not deleting archivelogs

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 13:09:45 -0500

Oracle 11.2.0.3 on Linux (RH6).
I have a Dataguard config with one primary, one physical standby and five snapshot standbys. The physical standby has 0 lag, and all of the five snapshot standbys are converted back to physical and caught up every morning and then back to snapshot.

I've confirmed that all 5 snapshot standbys were successfully refreshed and dataguard reports apply lag of no more than 9 hours for any of them.

However, when we try to delete archivelogs via RMAN, either through "backup database plus archivelog delete input" or just "delete archivelog", we get:

"RMAN-08120: WARNING: archived log not deleted, not yet applied by standby"

I'm talking about archivelogs going back to April and May.

The deletion policy in RMAN is:

CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO APPLIED ON STANDBY; and the physical standby is configured as a mandatory archive destination (otherwise we'd get "invalid archivelog deletion policy" warnings as well).

Has this something to do with the snapshot standbys not being in physical standby mode at the time of the delete attempt? I don't otherwise see what the problem could be, certainly not why RMAN thinks it needs to hang onto logs from over 4 months ago when it shouldn't need any logs older than 2 days.

I'm sure I could use "force" to delete them but I'd really like to know why RMAN is telling me what it is.

--
Don Seiler
http://www.seiler.us