Re: Re : Losing out to SQL Server

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 17:22:38 +1100

90% of the lore out there on MSSQL is completely wrong. We run >>220 dbs in MSSQL and have done so for years, without a single corruption anywhere.
Not saying it didn't happen in the past but since we moved everything to 2005 - and now to 2008 and starting on 2012 - there haven't been any. And there are remarkably low number of performance issues, although I'd not be game - yet - to run a VLDB in MSSQL. So far, Oracle's partitioning is by far the best method to approach those. I've been noting for nearly 6 years now that MSSQL is a credible and usable alternative for vanilla corporate app dbs.

M$ spent a LOT of time and resources - with Jim Gray's "Personal Petabyte" being one of the best examples - in learning and improving how to handle large numbers of dbs, at a low cost. While Oracle wasted all those years in the J2ee/confusion utter nonsense. And MSSQL is REMARKABLY easier to work with in a VMWare virtualized environment than Oracle will ever be with their insane licensing idiocy.

The results are now starting to reach the market. And will be making an impact for quite a while.
My "No Moore" posts and other similar ones are still online and were made in 2007.
Ah well: don't say I didn't warn about it...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto