Exadata high capacity vs high prformance drives

From: Stephens, Chris <Chris.Stephens_at_adm.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 14:47:33 -0600

After reading through a decent amount of information on Kevin Closson's site, it seems pretty convincing that there is a mismatch between the ability of Exadata's compute nodes to process data at the same rate that the storage nodes can serve up. Obviously that is somewhat dependent on individual workloads. Given that, are sites tending to go with the high capacity drives in the storage nodes?

I know that is a very general question that might get a lot of 'it depends' answers but I'm trying to figure out how to decide between the two without actually knowing what the workload is going to be. I'm just being asked to make a best guess at this point.

Thanks for any comments.

Chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply.