Re: Losing out to SQL Server

From: Øyvind Isene <oyvind.isene_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 22:29:57 +0100

I can understand that, Oracle is not inexpensive. These are things to consider:
* Make sure they have understood SQL Server licensing rules, they have changed recently. If Linux is an alternative the Windows server license must be included too.
* Check if you really need EE; SE1 and SE are still very advanced. If you need DG, check out DbVisit Standby.
* You get discounts on Oracle licenses when buying hardware from them, with the latest ODA you can start small (with few licenses) and use the remaining CPUs for other stuff.
* Try to arrange a scaled up volume testing on SQL server and see if it performs as expected.
* As already suggested, talk to an Oracle presale guy. They can be creative at times.
On the other hand, if you learn SQL Server as well as Oracle you will probably be very valued on the job market. Many of us (me included) hates to start over again and learn an RDBMS that will always be second to Oracle ;-)

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM, <wblanchard_at_oshkoshcorp.com> wrote:

> So, I'm sure everyone on this list understands the costs involved in
> standing up an Oracle database (especially if you have to factor in EE,
> DR, DG, etc.). With the economy the way it is an money being a commodity
> in short supply, I find that I am losing EVERY new application to SQL
> Server. Granted there are times when SQL Server is a better fit and I
> have steered two applications to SQL Server because I felt it was a better
> fit; however, how do I reel in the ones that really should be on Oracle.
> Trying to sell a $1 million dollar solution that SQL Server can cover for
> a few hundred thousand is killing me.
>
> Thank you,
>
> WGB
>

> Although this e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free of any
> virus or other defect which might affect any computer system, it is the
> responsibility of the recipient to check that it is virus-free and the
> sender accepts no responsibility or liability for any loss, injury, damage,
> cost or expense arising in any way from receipt or use thereof by the
> recipient.
>
> The information contained in this electronic mail message is confidential
> information and intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
> above, and may be privileged. If the reader of this message is not the
> distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
> you have received this transmission in error, please contact the sender
> immediately, delete this material from your computer and destroy all
> related paper media. Please note that the documents transmitted are not
> intended to be binding until a hard copy has been manually signed by all
> parties.
> Thank you.

Øyvind Isene
+47 48012436