Fwd: perl and dba

From: pier paolo Bruno <pbrunoster_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 10:08:20 +0100

And for windows ? power shell ?
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com> Date: 2013/2/7
Subject: Re: perl and dba
To: pbrunoster_at_gmail.com

Not necessary at all for an experienced linux/unix dba but solid ksh/bash scripting skills are ...

  • Original Message ---- From: pier paolo Bruno <pbrunoster_at_gmail.com> To: "oracle-l_at_freelists.org" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Wed, February 6, 2013 6:29:08 PM Subject: perl and dba

I can read and write simple perl script for admin but i don't define myself a perl programmer .
A question for you .
For searching a DBA in 2013 do you think perl is something usefull nowdays ?
I use it sometimes on windows machine .. but on unix I usually prefer shell scripting .. so I'd like to know your opinion . the reason for the question are 2 :
- think if it something I have to study more or if it is better to study
something else
- for recruiting

Obviously as dba/sysadmin i exclude dotnet or java skill as requirement ( i know java quite well becouse i come from java develpment but i don't use it for my work and so i don't think it is something important for a dba (it is another work)) .
Thanks