Re: Db reorganization

From: Stefano Cislaghi <s.cislaghi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 08:48:22 +0100

On 2 February 2013 02:06, Mohammed Mehraj Hussain <mhdmehraj_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to know the better way to re-organize the database without any
> downtime.

Could you be more precise? Are you talking about a single table? a schema? full database?
Anyway:

  • expdp / impdp are good but you have a downtime
  • ALTER TABLE MOVE very good but you have a downtime
  • INSERT /*+APPEND*/ into a new table the drop old and rename it .... very short downtime
  • DBMS_REDEFINITION near to perfect solution

That's all for now, my brain is still booting (sorry Monday morning here :D)

Ste

--
http://www.stefanocislaghi.eu

The SQLServerAgent service depends on the MSSQLServer service, which
has failed due to the following error: The operation completed
successfully.