Oracle Managed Files and RMAN

From: Peter van Rijn <petervanrijn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 19:28:01 +0100

Hi all,

This evening I got quite frustrated.

For starters: 10.2.0.5 on HP-UX 11.23

Out of laziness (I admit) I started using Oracle Managed Files. No need of specifying file names, just easy does it.

Although we usually make our backups the old fashioned way by putting the databases in backup mode and backing up the file systems that accomodate the database files, this afternoon I created an RMAN backup of the database that I wanted to update (the application using the db that is).

After half an our I noticed I had skipped one step in the update procedure and wanted to restore and recover the database. PITR until just before the update started.

Than my frustration started. After I while I saw that RMAN, when restoring the datafiles, invented new names for them. But apparently didn't send the message to the recover command, because as soon as the recovery wanted to start it complained about the first file not being restored. Which of course it was, but had a new name.

I tried using the restore and recover command like this:

run{
set until time "to_date('201302011500', 'yyyymmddhh24mi')"; restore database;
recover database noredo;
alter database open resetlogs;
}

and like this:

restore database until time "to_date('201302011500', 'yyyymmddhh24mi')"; recover database until time "to_date('201302011500', 'yyyymmddhh24mi')"; alter database open resetlogs;

but none of these worked.
Since I can't use all weekend trying to solve this problem I decided to return to the database that I had left a couple of hours ago and created this good old filesystem backup and conitued with my upgrade task.

Is this a bad marriage between RMAN and OMF? Did I miss some crucial part of the docs? I Googled and MOS-ed around quite abit, but found no solution.

Since we are planning to using RMAN for all our backups this year it's important to solve this mystery.

I hope someone can help,

regards,

Peter