Re: Database Design Best Practice help

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 09:05:23 -0800 (PST)

Any change to a schema invariably involves changes to the application;  you currently have an app that accesses these tables and consolidating them into a single 'unified' entity would require recoding that application to use this new object rather than the dozens/hundreds you currently have.  Other people have brought forth the notion that these may be set up in a primary key/foreign key relationship and if that is also true you would also need to rework the schema by changing all of those foreign key constraints (if possible) to use this new table.  Of course the new primary key for this 'one-size-fits-all' table would include table_name, a column not included in any of the other tables where foreign key constraints against these lookup tables are in place.  This places yet another burden on you to add table_name to every affected table so proper foreign key constraints can be enabled.
This sounds like a Herculean task that I would not care to undertake. David Fitzjarrell