Re: Database Design Best Practice help

From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 05:57:08 -0800 (PST)

I guess my first question is do you know "why you have about one hundred tables like this ..." in the current database?

Do they represent different entities in some fashion that correspond to some part of the real world?

Do these tables ONLY have the two columns code and description or is there all sorts of other columns in ( some/all ) of them?

Do you have any understanding of the history of how and why the current set of tables were ( pick one ) created/designed/arrived in your database?

  • Original Message ---- From: Jose Soares <jose.soares_at_sferacarta.com> To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent: Mon, January 28, 2013 4:03:16 AM Subject: Database Design Best Practice help

Hi all,

I have a question about database design best pratice.

In my db I have about one hundred tables like this:

code
description

To avoid to have a so great number of similar tables in the db I wonder if it is a good idea to unify all these tables in one big table like this:

id
code
table_ name
description

The advantages are:

  1. only one table in the db instead of 100
  2. only one controller to manage the table

Could this be a way to enhance db performance? Is there any negative point that I don't see?

Thanks for any comments.

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Jan 28 2013 - 14:57:08 CET

Original text of this message