Re: Partition LUNs for Oracle ASM

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 09:58:45 -0800 (PST)

> Hi,
> OracleŽ Grid Infrastructure Installation Guide 11g Release 2 (11.2) for
> Linux E22489-08 states the following:

> That said, a very simple method to achieve partition alignment is to
> completely avoid partitioning
> (see http://www.fhgfs.com/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=PartitionAlignment).

Dimitre,

I don't recall Oracle ever gives an explanation why partitioning the disk is necessary. But Matthew's message serves this purpose quite well.

Your mention of partition alignment is interesting. From Sun ZFS Storage Appliance: Performance clues and considerations [ID 1213714.1] we can infer that partition misalignment has performance implication, at least for Sun ZFS, and the first referenced article "Aligning Partitions to Maximize Storage Performance" goes to the details. So maybe we can say that not considering any bug, both not creating a partition and creating a partition but making sure it's aligned with the file system are acceptable, while creating a partition without proper alignment won't cause any problem other than performance degradation. What do you think?

Yong Huang