Re: CURSOR_SHARING survey

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 08:03:17 -0000

  • Original Message ----- From: "Saibabu Devabhaktuni" <saibabu_d_at_yahoo.com> To: "free" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Friday, January 25, 2013 7:38 AM Subject: RE: CURSOR_SHARING survey

| Chris,
| We don't typically set cursor_sharing to force (unless any application
bug related to not using bind variables is introduced) for the following reasons:

| 1) Any literal predicates that we want to be seen by optimizer for better
execution plan also gets converted to system bind variable. Queries that filter by few types of status or flag column can be hard coded as literals.

Just as a side-note - for special cases the /*+ cursor_sharing_exact */ hint may be a good way to work around that problem.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/all-postings

Author: Oracle Core (Apress 2011)