Re: Automatic Memory Management

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:44:51 +0000

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Juan Miranda <jcmiranda_at_oesia.com> wrote:

> I knew I can define minimums but this way AMM donīt help too much...
> I think Oracle must review this issue.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Juan

<after earlier writing>

> >> I canīt solve the possible problems with bind variables, etc.

That seems a little harsh, taken together you seem to be saying "I know my code isn't written to take advantage of the Oracle shared memory architecture, so I think Oracle should review its architecture so it fits my case" - Why can't your developers review their code to fit the platform they use?

In the mean time I think there are a couple of options.

  1. set minimums as already suggested - you'll get more buffer cache at the likely expense of more parsing. That might well be helpful.
  2. consider setting CURSOR_SHARING -- however this has a history of side effects with other features.

The bottom line though is that your application (or the vendor's application) isn't designed to play nicely with the platform on which it runs, this makes sense for software vendors - but not for in house applications, and it is this that means more administration effort is required.

BTW the DS_SVC statements are coming from SQL Profile generation - what are your SQL Profile settings.