RE: Hyperthreading - Oracle license

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 16:30:38 -0600 (CST)

Mark writes:

> Actually, a quick MOS search, and Oracle specifically recommends staying w/
> the "doubled" count for cpu_count.
>
> See Doc ID 289870.1

I saw that, too, and I'm calling "BS" on the lack of evidence, empirical or otherwise. Unless it can be claimed that turning HT on gives one at or near a 100% gain in CPU power, it stands to reason that Oracle cannot consume at or near an additional 100%. And I'm reasonably certain that no one is advocating HT as giving anywhere near another the performance of another core.

I understand that the CPU_COUNT isn't based on the raw CPU power. Perhaps the suggestion was made *assuming* the reader would somehow magically consider recollecting system stats after turning on HT?

Call me paranoid (no, really, go ahead), but it just doesn't smell right...

Rich