Re: Automatic Memory Management

From: Remigiusz Sokolowski <remigiusz.sokolowski_at_nordea.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:42:46 +0100

IMHO AMM has a tendency to exaggerate shared pool needs, thus assuming not too big activity on the database the memory migrates slowly from cache to shared pool to values, which are quite ridiculous (assuming no minimum set). On the other hand on databases with high activity and rapidly changing demand for memory in different pools it is unstable. So I use it mainly on test environments.

And Your conclusion is too far going for me - the only rule of thumb I use is to set db_cache_size to around 10% of the database assuming new quite small database with unknown load - the rest is quite hard to describe - usually first settings are based on "experienced" guess and afterwards goes observation and adjustment

--
Pole na kazi

Remigiusz Sokolowski <remigiusz.sokolowski_at_nordea.com>
pos   : Senior DBA at DIiUSI
addr  : Nordea Bank Polska SA, Luzycka 6A st, 81-537 Gdynia, Poland
phone : +48 58 667 17 43
mobile: +48 602 42 42 77
Nordea Bank Polska S.A. z siedziba w Gdyni, ul. Kielecka 2, 81-303 Gdynia,
wpisana do Rejestru Przedsiebiorców Krajowego Rejestru Sadowego pod numerem: 0000021828,
dla której dokumentacje przechowuje Sad Rejonowy Gdansk - Pólnoc w Gdansku,
VIII Wydzial Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sadowego,
o kapitale zakladowym i wplaconym w wysokosci: 277.493.500,00 zlotych,
NIP: 586-000-78-20, REGON: 190024711--