Re: Snap Manager for Oracle

From: Stefano Cislaghi <s.cislaghi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 19:13:52 +0100

I tried it in a PoC almost three years ago. At that time I tought technology wasn't ready. SMfO was just an interface able to run some oracle command in order to put datafiles in BEGIN BACKUP...END BACKUP and in the middle snapshot them. Even if NetAPP is widely used (but you can this also for EMC, HP storage and IBM storage too) is not a very good storage. Basically is nothing more than a Nas with some 'enterprise' feature. It is fast and reliable if you want to use it for CIFS/NFS sharing, but not really perfomant and reliable as a SAN. Their advanced feature like SM for Oracle, VMWare, Exchange, etc are just GUI for taking the advantage of some low level software feature (like snapshot in vmware, begin backup in oracle, etc) and then snapshot files on WAFL filesystem with netapp standard technology. I still remember one curious 'bug' of our PoC. During a recovery test SMfO ran internally a recovery process with
RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL
but software wasn't able to provide any CANCEL or to let the user to do it!

My previous employer had a global contract with Netapp that was part of IT strategy, so we were fulfilled of Netapp, and fulfilled of issues everyday. Honestly I do not recommend Netapp, at least for databases. All my collogues and professional friends are still working with Netapp have a daily complain about this technology/producer.

My two cents :)

Stefano

On 18 December 2012 02:55, Denise Gwinn <denise_at_mail.wvnet.edu> wrote:

> Does anyone use this software from Netapp? We want to apply it in
> several different environments.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> denise

http://www.stefanocislaghi.eu

The SQLServerAgent service depends on the MSSQLServer service, which has
failed due to the following error: The operation completed successfully.