RE: best way to convert from unix to linux

From: Josh Collier <Josh.Collier_at_banfield.net>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 16:43:31 +0000

The white paper was very helpful due to the importance of the order of operations. Its scripts to capture sequences, grants and the two different metadata imports.

Another thing I learned is that on linux statistics_level=ALL behaves dramatically much worse than on solaris. Its unusable on redhat 5 update 4.

Also run rman logical block checking on the source prior to export to determine if you have any corrupt blocks on the source. Corrupt blocks make TTS with endian conversion upset.

Send me a message, I can send over my scripts if you like.

If your storage subsystem is up to it, you should have no trouble moving it in 8 hours. That's about how long it took me to move 7TB. 4 hours for endians and 2 hours on pre and post work.

Plan on 5 or 6 test runs to work out kinks. Some objects don't come over, like domain indexes and dblink dependent objects sometimes get upset. Josh C.

From: Josh Collier [mailto:Josh.Collier_at_xxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 1:10 PM
To: Taylor, Chris David; 'sandeep salian' Cc: 'oracle-l_at_xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: RMAN convert 5TB db on Linux (Little Endian) to AIX (Big Endian) - alternatives?

I used this white paper to move 8tb from big to little endian. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/availability/maa-wp-10gr2-platformmigrationtts-129296.pdf

it worked great. Rman endian conversion on the target took 4 hours.

However, I suggest doing a lot of testing I found bugs in the following areas:

TTS with compressed tables (bug 10324526) TTS and flashback (bug 12619529)

The latest PSU is essential to avoid catching more bugs.

Run DBV and RMAN logical block validation on the database after the conversion is also essential. Also using db_block_checking is helpful to find bugs during test.
</snip>

Chris Taylor

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort."
-- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)

Any views and/or opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ingram Industries, its affiliates, its subsidiaries or its employees.