Re: db reorg?

From: Sriram Kumar <k.sriramkumar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 10:42:55 +0530

Hi,
data shared simply means that you have allocated ~= 420 GB to the database of which ~= 250 GB is being used. if you have growth statistics to indicate that the database is over sized then you can look at resizing the datafiles to release some space to o.s.

Reorg on the other hand...would normally mean that the database was once 250 GB (used space) out of which you have purged 100GB of data and is going to take a long time for this database to grow back to 250 GB and you want to reclaim the space to the O.S/SAN . Reorg if performed in correct circumstances can help in improving performance by reducing the table and index sizes there by reducing blocks to be read

best regards

sriram kumar