Re: SAP and HANA

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 09:45:24 +0100

Inline
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 4:37 AM, Art Vandelay <stmontgo_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> List,
> We're seeing some discussions in our organization around the SAP
> Database offering Hana.

In what way? As a platform for SAP BI? As a separate product?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this

> Do you think this product will gain any traction?

I'd expect it to gain a fair amount of traction amongst SAP customers for obvious reasons. I'd be surprised if it was adopted by many Oracle, DB2 or MSSQL shops outside of that market. Most places already have a fair investment in RDBMS technology, and likely are looking to some extent (though not as much as advocates would suggest) away from RDBMS altogether for other projects - for example map-reduce and no-sql solutions for various classes of online apps and data analysis.

> Do you believe Gartner when they state "A Double Wake Up Call for
> SAP's Competitors" - Should Larry be worried?
> http://www.gartner.com/technology/reprints.do?id=1-17OKEN0&ct=111014&st=sb

I think the comments in there about this being 2-5 years down the track and presenting challenges as well as opportunities for SAP are about right.

> Is anyone running Hana and can they provide some feedback

Purely opinion, no hands on experience.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA