How much space does RMAN need to restore a datafile?

From: Gus Spier <gus.spier_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 09:55:44 -0400

Listers!
Does anyone have a link or a resource that correctly, definitively, and authoritatively specifies that Recovery Manager needs (for example) 15 Gigabytes of free disk space to restore a 10 Gigabyte datafile?

We have learned that restoring a 15 GB datafile to its file system that has 23 GB available is a non-starter ... but we have not arrived at the correct proportion of necessary free space for data file restoration.

Any help would be appreciated

Sun 15K Enterprise
Solaris 5.10
Oracle 10.2.0.2 (Non Rac)