RE: HOW TO SET SEQUENCE VALUE

From: Taylor, Chris David <ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 07:17:47 -0500

Ilmar,
I wasn't advising anything :)

Chris Taylor

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.” -- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)

Any views and/or opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ingram Industries, its affiliates, its subsidiaries or its employees.

Quite dangerous advice, I think... Cache is a very important part of sequence performance (and maybe the default 20 is too low nowadays also). Using NOCACHE should be a very rare occasion, when "losing" sequence numbers on instance restarts is not allowed. USER_SEQUENCES just reports what value is stored in data dictionary, but database instance is giving out cached sequence numbers. So the difference is normal.

Ilmar

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Taylor, Chris David <ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com> wrote:
> CACHE_SIZE = 20?
>
> Create sequence NOCACHE
>
> Chris Taylor
>
> "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort."
> -- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)
>
> Any views and/or opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ingram Industries, its affiliates, its subsidiaries or its employees.

Ilmar Kerm