RE: NIC binding vs IPMP for RAC interconnect

From: Hameed, Amir <Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:53:59 -0400

Thanks Freek and Senthil for the feedback. So, it seems that for a 2-node RAC cluster, either IPMP or NIC bonding can be used, whereas for a 2+n node RAC (where n > 0), bonding is the preferred method because the load-balancing feature of bonding will be utilized.

Thanks
Amir
From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Senthil Subramanian Sent: woensdag 28 maart 2012 1:34
To: Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com
Cc: <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>

In a RAC system, you should take advantage of both SPOF and load balancing for your interconnects. The NIC bonding or teaming called link aggregation on Solaris platform. IPMP can only provide failover capability. However, on the other hand, NIC bonding(LA) can provide both load balancing and failover capabilities.

+Senthil

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 27, 2012, at 7:26 PM, "Hameed, Amir" <Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com> wrote:

> Folks,
> I would like to understand which one is a better option for a RAC
> interconnect: (a) NIC bonding (b) IPMP based failover. The OS is
Solaris