Re: Reduce licensing costs - disable cores?

From: ~Jeff~ <jifjif_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 09:42:53 +1300

Hi Robert
just wondering - have you considered the SPARC VII alternatives in the M-series servers ?

They are quad-core CPUs which boils down to a more granular 2 "processor" license per CPU.

By all accounts they are better suited to single-threaded performance, vs the T-series (T4, T3 etc) CPUs. That could be a pro or con I guess, depending on your environment. We're doing a similar evaluation and are leaning towards M-series and SPARC VII for this reason.

HTH,
Jeff