Merge statement not using index

From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:00:04 -0600

Oracle - EE 10.2.0.4
Platform - IBM zSeries, SLES 10

I have 19 related tables that need to have data archived daily. If I run my merge script manually, it uses the primary key index on all the tables, both source and target. For obvious reasons I want to automate the process. However, when I run the procedure to do the merge (so far only one table in the procedure), it does an FTS instead of using the pirmary key index. I read where others had the same problem and the suggestion was to use the index hint. It is ignoring my hint. Due to the size of the majority of these archive tables, an FTS is unacceptable.

Can someone point me in the right direction for resolving this issue? I haven't found anything in the Oracle 10g docs or googling yet that has been helpful.

Thanks.
--

Sandy
Transzap, Inc.