Re: OS recommendations / experience

From: ~Jeff~ <jifjif_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 09:52:57 +1300

Thanks for the comments everyone!
Solx86 - it was very much a 2nd (or 3rd) tier platform before the Sun buyout, I was curious to see if things had radically changed since then.  The single OS for v9-11 was tempting ... and hey, its a Sysadmin problem then right ;) Having come from an all SPARC-Solaris shop before, there would be some familiarity at least.

Sounds like OEL5 is the go then. But it would mean having to bring virtualisation into the picture in order to run 9i on RH/OEL4.

_at_dennis - I quite like Oracle, makes for a nice living here :) TBH, HPUX is a funny beast (AIO, DIO not included with the base OS ????) so I'm not sad to see it go. We'd have a hard time justifying any other brand , except perhaps Sun/Oracle on the basis of the "one throat to strangle" :D

Any more input is welcomed.

cheers-
jeff