Re: DB Appliance

From: Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 10:17:56 +0000

Niall: I slightly disagree with your High-Availability (HA) point, but on a terminology issue.

RAC is a HA solution. It is meant to cope with a server going down. A data center going bang is not a typical HA issue. It is a disaster recovery issue. Unless you are using a stretch cluster, then RAC is not really a disaster recovery solution full stop.

With this in mind, I think the claim that ODA is a HA solution is valid*. It is most definitely not a disaster recovery solution. If you need that, you are going to have to buy more hardware and consider a solution like Data Guard or DBVisit Standby etc.

Now I know some people use the term HA to mean different things, which is why I said I "slightly disagree". :)

  • Complexity is the enemy of high-availability. RAC is complex, therefore RAC != HA. :)

Cheers

Tim...