Re: Active Dataguard -- Cascade Standby or not

From: Subodh Deshpande <deshpande.subodh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 15:49:26 +0530

Hi Stalin,
Gajanan had explained nicely, I am also looking forward to his blog post :)

Following is one more link..may be cascading will be useful in your case..

http://emrebaransel.blogspot.in/2010/08/dataguard-cascade-standby-database.html

In both of your posts platform, sizes of databases and amount of redo generated is not mentioned..I think it would have helped lot to understand why to go for cascade standby database..

thanks..subodh

On 8 March 2012 06:05, Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Stalin,
> You are welcome! You have broached a very interesting subject which was
> discussed very intently during our project. The long-term goal was to have
> the Observer installed on an independent data center (C) different from the
> PRIMARY (Data Center A) and HA (Data Center B). But Data Center C is not
> yet available. In the interim, we will have the Observer running on A with
> the option to run on B (if and when necessary) similar to an Failover
> Cluster configuration. We have Hitachi True Copy replicating the all
> important fsfo*.dat file (key to Observer startup) from A to B. This
> replication is done in synchronous mode, such that if there is an Observer
> failure on A, B has the accurate version/copy of the fsfo*.dat file for the
> Observer startup. Again, this was done keeping in mind the customer's all
> important requirement - Automation.
>
> This topic of Observer configuration and setup in itself can be a
> discussion that can last many days :))) And there are different failure
> scenarios that one needs to be understand, plan for and deal with. If you
> have not already done so, I'd happily recommend that you read a
> presentation by Martin Bracher from Trivadis (albeit from 2008 but still
> very relevant). Martin has done an excellent job on the subject, kudos to
> him!
>
> -
> http://www.trivadis.com/uploads/tx_cabagdownloadarea/te_dg_observer_doag-mnb2.pdf
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gaja
>

> Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha,
> CEO & Founder, DBPerfMan LLC
> http://www.dbperfman.com
> http://www.dbcloudman.com
>
> Phone - +1-650-743-6060
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/gajakrishnavaidyanathaCo-author:OracleInsights:Tales of the Oak Table -
> http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID14
> Co-author:Oracle Performance Tuning 101 -
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0072131454/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-6130796-4625766
> Enabling Cloud Deployment & Management for Oracle Databases

Love me or Hate me both are in my Favour.
Love me, I am in your Heart. Hate me, I am in your Mind.