Re: Oracle Database 10.2 has now transitioned from Premier Support to Sustaining Support.

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 12:15:36 +0000

They aren't saying they won't support you *exactly*, just that you are at the bottom of the list and they'll get round to you as and when. Also implied is that if it is a new/unkown issue you are pretty much on your own. I think your options are basically as follows in approximate order of usefulness and speed <commercial disclaimer I currently work for an Oracle Partner> :
  • dig into the Oracle support knowledgebase for your issue yourself
  • Wait for the SR to be updated.
  • See if you can reproduce the issue in a version under Premier Support (11.1 for a few more months or 11.2).
  • Purchase Extended support
  • Engage an Oracle Partner who may already have encountered the issue.

In all cases if you require a patch I think you'll end up paying money and/or upgrading. This is why I choke when I read the Lifetime Support Policy's description of sustaining support. "Sustaining Support puts you in control of your upgrade strategy.".
http://www.oracle.com/us/support/library/lifetime-support-technology-069183.pdf

"

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Sheldon Quinny <sheldonquinny_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> Oracle Database 10.2 has now transitioned from Premier Support to
> Sustaining Support. Our records indicate the CSI used for this SR does not
> have Extended Support so you are only eligible to Sustaining Support.
> Sustaining Support includes assistance with service requests, on a
> commercially reasonable basis, 24 hours per day, 7 days a week. It does not
> include new program updates, fixes, security alerts and critical update.
> The support policy details can be accessed at “
> http://www.oracle.com/us/support/library/057419.pdf “. If you need
> Extended
> Support please contact your account team. If you are an ACS customer, and
> are using your special ACS CSI to file this Service Request, please
> included the Extended Support CSI in the Service Request and disregard this
> message.
> So how do you get query solved on 10G.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA