Re: HA Architecture Plus + Reporting Purposes

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 09:53:47 -0800 (PST)

Dear List,
I totally agree with Tim on his assertion about how RAC is marketed vs. the reality. On a more philosophical note, the first question I'd ask is whether or not a given application is designed for RAC and what %age of elapsed time is the "cluster and interconnect-related waits". We usually use a rule-of-thumb of no more than 10% overhead for the appropriate applications having the right requirements for RAC. In the end it usually boils down to two things:
  1. Cannot scale beyond the largest single SMP server available for use, thus need a cluster of nodes - RAC
  2. Redo log files are the biggest bottleneck, solid state technology has not done the trick and thus need a cluster of nodes to spread the bottleneck - RAC

I observe this a lot in my world - people who put the cart before the horse. The decision to go with RAC is already made before even verifying and validating whether the application will be able to standup straight with production load in a RAC environment. And the rationale is usually - We need high levels of HA. And then people figure out in production, that performance is a huge pain and then discover that the "cluster and interconnect waits" are for example - 68%-72% of elapsed time. No point blaming RAC then, the application was just not designed for RAC and you just threw RAC at it.

HA (and very high levels of HA) can be achieved for non-RAC certified applications by deploying Active Data Guard and Golden Gate in a simple single instance configuration. This combined with some simple yet intelligent traffic management using load balancers (e.g. F5 GTMs and LTMs) will do the trick. This is especially relevant in today's world, as we start to deploy Oracle databases in a geographically dispersed Cloud (think Amazon EC2's Availability Zones within a given Region for HA and Availability Zones across Regions for DR). Now we are talking about multiple, geographically dispersed data centers and the design for HA is a lot different. Tim is also right on the money about HA & DR, they are not much different. In my mind, the difference between HA and DR is the distance to the DR data center from the HA data centers. That's it!

Having said all of the above, I concur with Tim on recommending Options #1 & #2 for reporting, subject to the following conditions:

  1. Option #1 with "Active Data Guard" instead of "Data Guard" if the reporting component of your applications do not manipulate session-level temporary objects (global temporary tables)
  2. Option#2 with "Golden Gate" if the reporting component of your applications manipulate session-level temporary objects (global temporary tables) -- Currently ADG does not support manipulation of GTTs when the database mode is "Read Only With Apply".   May the force be with you :)))

Cheers,

Gaja

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha,
CEO & Founder, DBPerfMan LLC
http://www.dbperfman.com
http://www.dbcloudman.com

Phone - +1-650-743-6060
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gajakrishnavaidyanathaCo-author:Oracle Insights:Tales of the Oak Table - http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID14 Co-author:Oracle Performance Tuning 101 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0072131454/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-6130796-4625766

 From: Michael Dinh <mdinh_at_XIFIN.Com> To: "'tim_at_evdbt.com'" <tim_at_evdbt.com>; "avadhanimys_at_gmail.com" <avadhanimys_at_gmail.com>; ora-apps-dba <ora-apps-dba_at_freelists.org>; oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>; "oaugnetdba-on_at_oaug.com" <oaugnetdba-on_at_oaug.com> Sent: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 1:24 PM Subject: RE: HA Architecture Plus + Reporting Purposes

I have not used DG for reporting purposes because the standby created is primarily use for backup since the servers and storage is not at the same capacity as standby.

However, with redo at 200M and 100-150 log switches per day, standby was able to catch up after 3 days of down time applying logs in less than a day.

That's a good and fuzzy feeling.

Golden Gate will come at an additional cost.

HTH Michael Dinh

Disparity Breaks Automation (DBA)

Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong - Peter T Mcintyre