Fun with WAIT Event "library cache: mutex X"

From: Taylor, Chris David <ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 10:45:56 -0600

I'm running 11.2.0.2 Patch 10 on Windows x64 and I have a pl/sql procedure that is rather simple, but kept erroring out after some time with an out memory condition. So, I decided to look and see what it is doing and it is encountering the "library cache: mutex X" event.

Browing Oracle Support, I found the note about it and it says:

  • "P3 = "where" = location in code (internal identifier) where mutex is being waited for _at_The meaning of the code for "where" can be found by looking in kgl0.h for entries with the prefix ""kglml_XXX". For example, if P3=2, then it corresponds to "kglml_kglget2". You can then search source code for this symbol to see where the mutex is acquired.

Well, that's not very helpful to me since I don't have access to the source code :) I understand that the engineers can use it.

Long story short, I decided to download the 11.2.0.3 patchset.

It is only *4 GIGABYTES*. I'm getting about 170k download speed on my work network so......

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort." -- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the information on any medium.