RE: System Statistics and Calibrate IO

From: CRISLER, JON A <JC1706_at_att.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 00:21:09 +0000

My understanding was that db_calibrate was very narrowly focused, and only collects metrics on disk i/o- and I did not think those metrics were kept to influence the DB behavior. In other words, sort of like the same function as Orion- a benchmark and nothing more. Even if it did save those metrics (and show me the docs where it says it does) gather_system_stats captures a lot more info, including CPU performance.

To err on the safe side- run them both.