Re: Disk Device Busy (%) - What exactly is this?

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 13:15:20 -0300

Dimitre,
  From that document I gather that the iostat busy metric is not all that reliable when you have a complex disk subsystem: from the document: *"Wrap up*
So the real answer to our initial question is that the model of disk behavior and performance that is embodied by the iostat report is too simple to cope with the reality of a complex underlying disk subsystem. We stay with the old report to be consistent and to offer users familiar data, but in reality, a much more sophisticated approach is required. I'm working (slowly) on figuring out how to monitor and report on complex devices like this."

It did, however, shed some light on exactly what "disk device busy (%)" means.

thanks for the replies.
Alan.-