Re: RAID5

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 20:55:48 +1100

That's also what I've seen. I'd add that for sequential scans - FTS and other similar ops - there is not much difference in read speed between RAID5 and RAID10, assuming a stripe across a reasonable number of disks. I did notice in extreme multi-thread load situations that random reads are marginally faster in RAID10.
Writes however are a completely different proposition. RAID5 seems to be slower there across the board, compared to RAID10. Not sure if that's because the parity generation algorithms are notoriously slow, or some other reason. But it's a fact I've been able to confirm in various setups, from native attached disks to large SAN hardware.
Too early to say anything about our new Symmetrix.
--
Cheers
Nuno Souto