RE: naming conventions (constraints and indexes)

From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 14:28:26 +0000

We've used various unique suffixes to identify the different object types, similar to what you listed, but what I've found is problems with the base name. What happens when you have a long table name, such as ACCOUNT_TRANSACTION_HISTORY_TB. Ignore trying to come up with a better table name for now as the example is contrived. I was on a project in a previous company where they decided than any dependent objects would use a 4-character abbreviation off the table name, using the first initial of each "word" in the table name. If the table has only 1 word then use the first 4 characters of that word. If it has 2 words then use 2 characters of each word, etc.

So in this example all objects based on ACCOUNT_TRANSACTION_HISTORY_TB would use ACTH to identify the object it's based on. Indexes would be named like "ACTH_<col abbrev>_PK", having a similar convention for columns involved. A PK on ACCOUNT_ID and ACCOUNT_DT would be named "ACTH_AI_AD_PK". We had rules to deal with conflicts, pretty much any issue, but I won't bore you all with those details.

Incredibly cryptic? Yup, but we never had issues with running out of room for object names, followed the same logic for everything and were able to nearly include all important info on object names to help make those names have all key info. Eventually you get use to it and automatically decrypt without issue.

Take it for just another example of what others have done. This example was from a HIGHLY normalized OLTP db. We also had (and maintained) conceptual, logical, and physical data models, which I haven't seen since on any project.

DAVID HERRING
DBA
Acxiom Corporation

EML   dave.herring_at_acxiom.com
TEL    630.944.4762
MBL   630.430.5988

1501 Opus Pl, Downers Grove, IL 60515, USA WWW.ACXIOM.COM The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system. Thank you.