RE: desupport - end of an era

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 08:41:57 -0400

Barb,

    Why? I started out on VMS MANY years ago, VAX/VMS. When DEC died/was acquired by HP we all knew that the days were numbered for both the VAX line and VMS as well. So it's just a continuation of the consolidation/elimination of platforms and operating systems that is really driven by customer demand. Don't forget that a year ago HP stopped supporting the HP-3000 line of servers and the MPE operating system. Last Oracle release on MPE was 7.2. and that was a year before HP announced the end of MPE. That brought such a furor from HP-3000 professionals, some who had spent their entire career working on that platform, that one was worried if HP would survive. And at one time HP-UX was Oracle's preferred development platform, today it's most likely Solaris, though they seem to release Linux versions very quickly too.

    I remember one Oracle or IOUG article which stated that "DBA's should be the agents of change". Well here you are, your now an agent of change. BTW: We have A VMS server here, no support folks in operations, and I can't wait till it hits the dumpster. (Kept me up all night Tuesday when it decided to fry a couple of CPU's.)

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Leader