RE: Difference between certified and supported

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 19:32:39 -0400

I have always thought about those terms in this way:
  1. Certified. Combinations exist for which you can pay for a support license so that individual resolutions of the product or product combinations not operating as documented can be resolved without more money from you other than the time and expense to get the information to support that they need to help you and co-ordinate with them as any challenges are resolved.
  2. Not Certified. Combinations exist that are certified but you're not using one of them. You can usually still buy a support contract for the software products involved, but you may have to demonstrate that any problems you have also are a problem on a certified combination.
  3. Supported: Anything you can buy a support contract for, but if #2, you may have limits on the nature of what is supported as part of the contract
  4. Not Supported:
    1. Recovery or repairing data related to any of 1, 2, 3, that you have trashed by doing any outside of supported options and operations.
    2. Stuff not in 1, 2, 3
    3. Individual site configuration and operations of things in 1, 2, 3. That is not support, it is consulting. (Almost made a plug for third party consulting firms here.)
  5. If you find yourself in this unnamed category, I suggest you might enjoy a new career on a farm at webscale. If the first reaction you hear from support is "You did WHAT? Followed by the sounds people make when they are trying to suppress uncontrollable laughter, you may have found yourself in this category.

For a price, someone will help you with just about anything. Here, you are not really just migrating a database. There will be quite a bit to do to migrate your applications software and this and that about Oracle Applications that are far beyond just moving the database. Other than generally explaining the nature of the challenge you face, I wouldn't expect that to be a support call. So while you probably can migrate your database from Solaris to Linux using Cross-Platform Transportable Tablespaces (that is what you're talking about with XTTS, right?) you cannot expect to just move the database and fire up the applications. And it will be you or someone you hire doing the moving.

Good luck!