RE: interesting snippet from Oracle FUD paper

From: Dunbar, Norman (Capgemini) <"Dunbar,>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:09:40 -0000

Morning Richard,

>> ... At that point we discovered that the real reason for
>> no referential integrity is that they do things in reverse
>> so that the RI would get in the way. Programming dilemma
>> fixed by crippling the DB.

I used to work on an application that had no RI either. Being a fairly competent developer back then, I suggested that we should actually run the scripts that the repository created for us to add RI to the database. (It was Uniface.)

So we did, as a test and discovered that some developers had been creating new "stuff" and writing the child rows before the parent. Sigh. We had to turn off RI again.

However, later in life, Oracle introduced deferred constraints. Just what we needed as getting the developers to fix their back-to-front coding practices was costly and difficult. Deferred constraints worked for us.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Norm.

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk