Re: awr history

From: rjamya <rjamya_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 21:34:05 -0500

Hi Ed,

Designing GC reports (in GC interface) is painful at best unless you want real simple reports ... just use SQL. All you need really is joining couple of views and you are ready to roll.

GC has loads of data (at different granularity) mostly in mgmt$metric_daily   (for daily longterm averages), mgmt$metric_hourly (for hourly rollups, shorter term averages) and mgmt$metric_current which has latest collected info. You could join mgmt$target with these views to grab boatload of info (again not as granular/complete as ASH/AWR but still useful for trending / capacity planning).

I created a spreadsheet from following query, which tells me which metrics I have and can use (a sort of ready reference).

select distinct target_type, metric_name, metric_column, metric_label, column_label from mgmt$metric_daily where rollup_timestamp > = trunc(sysdate-8) order by 1,2,3;

Once you have this, you can pull all sorts of information, metric name is major category, metric_column is individual metric name. Actual values are in average/min/max/sttdev columns. key_value,1,2,3,4,5 give more attributes about that metric.

I roll a dashboard/capacity report for our few thousand targets (with matrices collected for hosts as well as databases, rac, asm, listeners etc ). My report, prepared for different groups of servers, currently has following info (e.g.)

Database: db name, version, number of patches installed, when installed, mem usage, db size, db growth per month/day, mount point usage for datafile mounts, severe alerts etc, tablespace growth, RMAN backup status, DG performance (if applicable)
Host: mem/cpu/swap usage, # of cpus, nic status, rac interconnect performance etc, filesystem growth, os patches, os version etc Storage: allocated, used, daily/weekly/monthly growth, storage type (vendor/software versions etc)
You can also find Exadata matrices there including cell performance etc if you have such configured.
This gives an easier view for our delivery team. Your requirements might be different.

For visualization, Kyle recently posted a few links for graphing tools. This data can be exported in any format you want (using sql). I have had good success with Google visualization (no data is sent out, it remains in your browser) when I have had few occasions to graph them. That can be scripted as well.

To dig into GC views this link is very
valuable<http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/em.102/b16246/views.htm#BACCEIBI>. There are many more views but you can easily find them in few minutes.

As other has indicated, at instance level ASH/AWR canot be beat, but for a installation-wide view GC data could be useful. Look into it, you may find what you want.

Raj

--
-----
Best regards