Re: VmWare

From: Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:19:27 +0000

Hi.

I think the situation is slightly more subtle than "real" hardware situations. Let's say it's not an Oracle problem. Normally that means it's a bug in the OS or heaven forbid a hardware issue (yes, CPUs have bugs too). Now adding any virtualization into the mix and you have three possible layers. Real hardware, virtualized hardware and OS running on virtualized hardware. This does complicate matters somewhat as the OS vendor can also claim their software is fine and it's the virtualization that is screwing things up.

Without wanting to get into the politics of yet another evil empire, for me it highlights the usefulness of the one-vendor approach Oracle can now support. DB problem? Oracle fix it. OS problem? Oracle fix it. Virtualization problem? Oracle fix it. Hardware problem? Oracle fix it.

Feel free to replace "Oracle fix it" with "Oracle don't answer SR for several months". :)

Cheers

Tim...