Re: Why is Oracle unaffordable?

From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 13:35:08 -0800 (PST)

I've also had a couple managers threaten Oracle when they've gotten a bit out of
hand with the licensing costs, (usually extra costs to mid-year license
additions) and stated, "I have a DBA who can run this application just as well
on SQL Server/MySQL, so if you want to test her out on that theory, please,
continue to add to my license costs..."   I've actually been surprised a couple
times how often Oracle chooses to turn a blind eye, stating that the company
is compliant or work a secondary option instead of the "it's Larry's way or the
highway..." :)
Kellyn Pedersen
Sr. Database Administrator
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen
www.dbakevlar.com

________________________________
From: Andy Klock <andy_at_oracledepot.com>
To: William Muriithi <william.muriithi_at_epicadvertising.com>
Cc: "jobmiller_at_yahoo.com" <jobmiller@yahoo.com>;
"passionate_programmer_at_hotmail.com" <passionate_programmer@hotmail.com>;
"dbvision_at_iinet.net.au" <dbvision@iinet.net.au>; "oracle-l@freelists.org"
<oracle-l_at_freelists.org>; "William.Blanchard@fisglobal.com"
<William.Blanchard_at_fisglobal.com>
Sent: Tue, November 9, 2010 2:22:28 PM
Subject: Re: Why is Oracle unaffordable?

Wow. I didn't mean to take this thread in another direction but speaking
economics (which I will be the first to admit I have only a rudimentary
understanding) if customers are willing to pay more for a product then, yes, the
price will continue to go up.  Case in point, I just purchased Oracle Linux
support today for $499, had I done this two weeks ago I would have only had to
pay $449. But don't worry, I won't hold any of you responsible for driving the
price up.