Hanganalyze not working on 11.1.0.7 on Windows

From: Reardon, Bruce (RTABBAY) <"Reardon,>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 15:12:12 +1100

Hi,
We have had an Oracle instance crashing / hanging (separate email to be sent) and not accepting new logins - even sysdba ones.

Next time it happens I'm hoping we can do a sqlplus preliminary connection and get a hanganalyze and / or systemstate dump.

So I'm trying as per
http://tech.e2sn.com/oracle/troubleshooting/hang/how-to-log-on-even-when -sysdba-can-t-do-so (also at

http://oradeblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/sqlplus-prelim-connection.html,
http://arup.blogspot.com/2008/08/diagnosing-library-cache-latch.html and
http://oraclue.com/2008/09/25/sqlplus-preliminary-connection/) but maybe
I have missed something?

I'm trying this on 11.1.0.7 Standard Edition on Windows 2003 32 bit.

Whilst I can get a systemstate dump to work, when I try a hanganalyze I get the message "Can not perform hang analysis dump without a process state object." in the trace file - regardless of whether I try at level 1, 3 or 10.

Can someone suggest what I am doing wrong?

The commands I am using are shown below:

D:\oracle\product\11.1.0>set oracle_sid=mysid D:\oracle\product\11.1.0>sqlplus -prelim Enter user-name: sys as sysdba
Enter password:
SQL> oradebug setmypid
Statement processed.
SQL> oradebug tracefile_name
--Path and name of trace file is shown

SQL> oradebug dump systemstate 10
Statement processed.
SQL> oradebug hanganalyze 3
Statement processed.
SQL> exit

The output in the trace file contains:

  • 2010-11-09 13:33:34.263 Processing Oradebug command 'hanganalyze 3'

    HANG ANALYSIS:
ERROR: Can not perform hang analysis dump without a process

       state object.

Thanks,
Bruce Reardon
bruce.reardon_at_riotinto.com