RE: Why is Oracle unaffordable?

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 07:42:43 -0500

Orace XE is free, we have it in production for numerous small apps, and I think we paid < 5k for Std 1, one socket. Doesn't seem that expensive considering the development costs for the app on that db was over one million.

I imagine all the different rdbms including oracle don't necessarily need a DBA, but I'm sure they all require a DBA when it comes to various recovery scenarios and high performing, scalable db's.