Re: Compare CLOBs over dblink

From: Martin Bach <development_at_the-playground.de>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 08:05:29 +0000

Hi folks,

Just wanted to add that you might need a license for DBMS_CRYPTO. If memory serves me right, then at least in 10.2 that was part of the advanced security option.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Martin

Martin Bach

Oracle Certified Master 10g
http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/martincarstenbach

  • Reply message ----- From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com> Date: Mon, Nov 1, 2010 16:19 Subject: Compare CLOBs over dblink To: <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>

> I don't have experience comparing "large" lobs over a db link, but I'd be
> inclined to use your dbms_crypto.hash method. Create a new function that
> just calls dbms_crypto.hash and grant execute on that to your developer.

It should be noted that SHA1 hashes are not guaranteed to be 100% unique, but that they are *extremely* unlikely to collide. A quick Google shows the odds at 1 in 2^80.

Thought that disclaimer should be put in there, just in case... :)

Rich