Re: delete obsolete for archivelogs

From: Ravi Madabhushanam <ravi.madabhushanam_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 07:21:37 +0530

I think below command should explain why the "DELETE NOPROMPT ARCHIVELOG ALL BACKED UP 2 TIMES TO DEVICE TYPE DISK" is not deleting the archive logs. By default backup archivelog all command will not backup any archive log for the second time.

backup
  as compressed backupset
  tag='daily_arch_backup'
  archivelog all channel ch2;

You are most likely to get a message "skipping archive log file /prod01/arch/arch_123456.log; already backed up 1 time(s)" Are you observing any messages like above in the backup log file.

However this still does not explain why the delete obsolete fail. Once the database is backed up twice, all archive logs older that oldest backup are obsolete.

HTH. ~Ravi.M