RE: Long term AWR retention

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 11:33:49 -0400

Interesting feedback, Allen, thanks.

I think 1 and 2 are tragedies of mismanagement and evidence of the trend toward extending the title DBA to folks who just operate the database. But I have no doubt you are right in many cases.

Usually #3 is not new hardware, but rather just more use of the test, qa, debug or other platforms in place. Just not production cycles or part of the bulk of the production database that must have top priority recoverability. Of course I'm not doubting you, and indeed there are those who fly without a net due to exigent financial circumstances. The VM trend makes this even less likely to require new licenses and horsepower.

And #4 is a blindspot for me, because I rarely get called any more until production cycles are at a premium.

Fortunately a lot of the rest of the response on the thread is more encouraging. Maybe we as a community can make life easier on those trapped in #1 and #2 by making it a common Minimally Sufficient Practice(joke tm pending against epidemic of calling things "BEST PRACTICE") to have a DBA datawarehouse.

Again, thanks.

mwf

From: Allen, Brandon [mailto:Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com] Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 11:00 AM
To: mwf_at_rsiz.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Long term AWR retention

Hi Mark,

I can think of a few possible answers:

  1. Many DBAs don't have enough spare time to do capacity planning - they're overloaded and always in firefighting mode
  2. Many DBAs aren't engaged in the capacity planning process by management - they're just told when it's time to upgrade and what kind of hardware they'll be working with
  3. Many can't or don't want to pay for hardware, Oracle licenses and other costs of another machine for storing DBA data
  4. Many production machines already have plenty of spare CPU cycles to accommodate the load of analysis for capacity planning as long as the queries are well written, tables are properly indexes, heavy activity is run during off-peak times, etc.

Regards,

Brandon

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mark W. Farnham

Why do so few people copy database metric data to a non-production machine? (And AWR is just a start.)

Shouldn't every DBA and/or DBA team have a DBA's data warehouse? Why use production cpu cycles to analyze anything but real time or near real time concerns?