Bug 3798351 Importing a pre-existing table may DROP the table on an error

From: LS Cheng <exriscer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 23:17:04 +0200

Hi

I have a customer hit this nasty bug this morning.

Really really nasty which affects 9.2.0.5 and 9.2.0.6. It turns out customer was trying to import a few thousands rows to the applicacion main table (partitioned), composed by 800 million rows, the first import gave an error complaining buffer size too small and that triggered a DROP TABLE which was lighting fast by the way, dropping the table and all partitions took around 15 seconds, we suspect that it didnt even try to drop the table physically, just updated data dictionary.

So what a disgrace my customer said, Oracle Software actually deleted his most important database table and the doubt is what is Oracle responsability in this situation? The system has been stopped 10 hours already due to this bug (database is around 2TB and requires complete restore).

TIA
--

LSC
--