Re: RMAN incremental backup level ???

From: Leyi Zhang (Kamus) <"Leyi>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 13:08:12 +0800

Maybe there are someone, haven't noticed incremental backkup changed in someway after 10g, just like me :-)

If NO level 0 backup exists, what would happen when you issue a level 1 backup? I shared this reading to listers. Briefly, it depends on compatibility initial parameter.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/rcmcncpt.htm

+++++++++
Differential Incremental Backups

In a differential level 1 backup, RMAN backs up all blocks that have changed since the most recent incremental backup at level 1 (cumulative or differential) or level 0. For example, in a differential level 1 backup, RMAN determines which level 1 backup occurred most recently and backs up all blocks modified after that backup. If no level 1 is available, then RMAN copies all blocks changed since the base level 0 backup.

If no level 0 backup is available in either the current or parent incarnation, then the behavior varies with the compatibility mode setting. If compatibility is >=10.0.0, RMAN copies all blocks that have been changed since the file was created. Otherwise, RMAN behaves as it did in previous releases, by generating a level 0 backup. +++++++++

--
Kamus <kamusis_at_gmail.com>

Visit my blog for more : http://www.dbform.com
Join ACOUG: http://www.acoug.org