Re: CEO's head in the Cloud

From: Thomas Roach <troach_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 22:35:44 -0400

Chet, good link. The costs vary for EC2. For a small instance it's in the 10 cents per hours range. I looked at EC2 pricing just now and it seems like they are becoming more flexible in their pricing model. At the end of the day Amazon is renting you space on their grid. You can build your own virtualization cluster or piggy back on theirs.

I guess it can be akin to a rental car. If you need to go to Disney World and you want to fit 9 people in a car for a day and you only have room for 4 in the one you own, then it's cheaper to go get a rental car instead of buy one. If you are a family with 9 kids, and you need the capacity everyday it's cheaper to buy the car than rent the car. When you buy, you tend to be very specific about your needs. When you rent, you sometimes are willing to take whatever car they have that will hold 9 people (within reason). With the "public" clouds you still have fewer options. For example Amazon's biggest box looks like it only gives you 4 cores (2 EC equivalent) and 15GB of RAM. (Why not 16? Their memory across the board is not a clean 2^2) The graphs look totally different between running things in the public cloud (rent) versus owning in the private cloud (buy). At some point they will intersect. In some circumstances renting/leasing makes sense. In others buying does. It is also much faster to rent a car then to buy one. Same thing with employees/contractors (labor). Some companies like getting (renting) contractors, some like hiring(buying) employees. It just depends on what your needs our and what makes the most economic sense. To me it's just another option.

Thomas Roach
813-404-6066
troach_at_gmail.com