RE: database decommission checklist

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 18:30:19 -0400

I think the issue is more that today's storage arrays abstract things enough that even dd'ing zeroes doesn't necessarily mean you're destroying any data. For example, on NetApp, there is no such thing as overwriting a block of data - when you write a block, it gets written to free space somewhere in the volume, and the old used block is marked as free and can be reused.

If you really need to destroy data, you'll need to get the SAN folks involved.

Matt