RE: Oracle8i to 10g upgrade using exp and imp

From: <japplewhite_at_austinisd.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 09:09:20 -0500

Yes, I use that method to move from an old database to a new database. My scripts drive off of DBA_Users, with User_ID ranges and UserName includes and excludes to pick and choose which schemas get copied. The list of schemas becomes the Owner= list in the single export from the old database, as well as the FromUser= and ToUser= lists in the single import into the new database.

Of course before the imp into the new DB, I've already run scripts in the new DB to create the users, assign roles, system privs, tablespace quotas, create public DB links, etc. Those scripts were created from scripts run against the old DB. It's very fast and flexible, allowing me to tweak roles, privs, and even to consolidate schemas by adjusting the ToUser= list in the imp *.par file.

I've done this from 9i to 9i DBs where expdp and impdp weren't an option, as well as from 9i to 10g. I'll have to explore the expdp and impdp options further. Sounds appealing for getting schemas into a new 10g DB.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9715 (wk) / 512.935.5929 (pager)

"Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>

Sent by: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org 06/25/2009 07:23 AM
Please respond to
Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us

<hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk>, <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Oracle8i to 10g upgrade using exp and imp

Hrishy,

Why would you want to do an exp with full=Y?

I would simply recreate any scripts to create local roles and users. Include any privs assigned to each user in the recreate scripts.

Run these scripts to create the roles and users. Export and import each schema individually. Export with Oracle 8 and Import with Oracle 10.

Resolve any problems. Should be a snap.

You don’t say how big your database is and this may be a deciding factor in how you do this.

Hope this helps.

Tom

From: Herald ten Dam <Herald.ten.Dam_at_superconsult.nl> Subject: RE: Oracle8i to 10g upgrade using exp and imp To: "hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk" <hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk>, "oracle-l_at_freelists.org"
<oracle-l_at_freelists.org>

Date: Thursday, 25 June, 2009, 11:20 AM Hi,

Oracle has the Oracle Database Upgrade Guide. In this the method is mentioned.
See
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14238/preup.htm#i694345 . Start reading from the paragraph Export/Import

Herald ten Dam
Superconsult