RE: Oracle Provisioning Pack

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:21:44 -0400

I asked this question on the list a month or two back, and got a fair number of responses. Full disclosure - my company makes a product that a number of companies use in lieu of Provisioning Pack, so take anything I say with a big grain of salt. The general feedback, both on- and off-list:
  • Database cloning works pretty well, with some limitations
  • No one reported success getting RAC provisioning to work with Provsioning Pack
  • Mixed reports on using it for patching - some people said it worked fine, others said they had to throw it out. Regardless, everyone agreed that the download from metalink and staging of patches via OEM was a nice feature
  • No one seemed to have used Provisioning pack to build databases/ORACLE_HOMEs from scratch - instead they built them by hand and then cloned them to the desired servers
  • No one had used OEM for bare-metal OS provisioning

I think that was the overall feedback. Is there anything in particular you're looking at it to do?

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito